October 5, 2011

Follow Your Heart


"Remembering that I’ll be dead soon is the most important tool I’ve ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure – these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart."
These words were spoken by Steve Jobs in 2005 when he presented the commencement address at Stanford University soon after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He was given six months at the most, God gave him six years.  

My recent medical problem put me face to face with mortality. Even though my condition was not considered serious, until the surgery was over and the pathology report came back the possibility of facing my own death was on my mind.  I did a lot of praying and thinking in the weeks before my surgery, and yes, it made me think about what is really important in life.  I have made some changes, mostly in my thinking. I am hoping it makes me a better person. 

God gives us opportunities all the time to reflect on what is important and to make changes in our lives.  These opportunities are usually not dramatic or life threatening, but they do occur, and we need to be open to listening to the voice of God making us aware of the true desires of our heart. How we respond is up to us.

I don't know if Steve Jobs was a religious man but he had a vision which changed the way the world communicates.  As I sit here with my Mac laptop I can't help but feel a member of the Apple family and I mourn the death of its patriarch. Rest in peace Steve.

No comments:

Post a Comment