January 4, 2012

Happy Birthday


Today is my daughter Laura's birthday.  I was reflecting during prayer this morning that it is also the anniversary of the day I became a mother, but upon further reflection I realized that I became a mother the day I conceived my precious daughter.  Yet the time of my pregnancy was a time of preparation, a time of patient waiting and a time to educate myself as to what I would need to be a good mother, and it wasn't unitl I held my precious little girl in my arms a moment after her birth that the full realization of my being a mother really hit.

In the 32 years since her birth I learned much about being a mother.  There has been a lot of water under the bridge, some good, some not so good. But I can honestly say that Laura and I truly have a loving relationship and even though an entire continent seperates us, we reamain close. It is a similar relationship that I have with my mom.

With her wedding nine months away, this year will be full of excitement and I am looking forward to being a mother-in-law to her wonderful fiancee John.  Hopefully in a year or two I will be able to be called by another title as well.

I have to thank God for giving me the gift of motherhood and for my three children.  Motherhood is a school of virtue. I've learned patience, fortitude, restraint, kindess, courage, and a large dose of humility. My faith has increased with each new challenge and I have learned to trust fully in God every step of the way.  But most of all I have learned to love more than I could have ever imagined.

Happy Birthday Laura. I am so happy you are part of my life.

1 comment: